You have invested a lot of money in getting the right degree, but the question standing before you is how to land up a decent job. In these times of economic uncertainty, getting the right job is a difficult proposition. The secret lies in how to search for a job. If you use the proper techniques while looking for a job you will not be disappointed later. Here are a few tips to have in mind when looking for a job.
- Keep learning and adding skills – If you are willing to learn and gather new skills you can always find the right job. The era is of multi-skilled people and the more skills you have the more options will be open for you.
- Brush up your networking skills – Networking with professional is an essential for landing a good job in a company of repute. It is the most important skill in the current times. Attend a workshop to polish your skills and attend seminars to meet new people. Internet is a good place to network and Facebook and twitter are great places to interact freely with professionals.
- Register with online portals – Online portals are great way to start the search. Their servers will send the matching jobs right in your mailbox. Do not get frustrated with jobs that do not match your skills. You need to update your curriculum vitae accordingly. I had to update mine 5 times before I started receiving the right job offers by mail.
- Spruce up your strengths – You might have an engineering degree but you are better at travel planning management. Degrees will never get you jobs. Try to find out what you love and include that in your curriculum vitae. Keep working on the same and you will surely get a job you will love to do.
- Stay in touch with friends – Your friends in a good company might help you land a job of your choice. So never lose touch with your friends. They might refer you for a job since they know your strengths closely.
- Register with the right employment agency – Employers always look towards employment agencies for recruitment. 6 out of 10 candidates in an interview are from the employment agencies. Yes this is the bitter truth, so register with an employment agency which specializes in the area you are looking for a job.
- Use the alumni network – This is the most unused platform, but is the most productive. Your seniors and alumni will always go one lengths to help you. Always stay connected with alumni and you will feel what I am trying to communicate.
Image credit: i.huffpost.com